Adherents to the Green Pledge commit to minimizing the environmental impact of their practice, with such actions as:
- Reducing energy consumption and waste at work spaces;
- Using videoconferencing as an alternative to in-person meetings;
- Avoiding unnecessary travel by using videoconferencing;
- Questioning the need to fly more and offsetting carbon emissions for arbitration-related travel;
- Corresponding electronically, unless hard copy correspondence is expressly needed; and others.
Greener Arbitrations is an initiative raising awareness of the international arbitration community’s significant carbon footprint. The Campaign works with all relevant players to promote best practice for sustainable arbitrations and to help reduce this industry’s carbon footprint.
"With our global footprint, our international arbitration lawyers are mindful of the impact that our standard practices and routines can have on the environment. COVID left the international arbitration community little choice except to turn to a virtual modality," says arbitration partner in Miami José Astigarraga. "That has helped many in our field to realize that without meaningfully reducing the quality of the process, we can all take practical and feasible steps reduce that impact. We look forward to working with our clients and colleagues on this important priority,” he said.