Steve has represented commercial policyholders in complex insurance disputes for more than 25 years. Steve emphasizes strategic and creative solutions for resolving disputed claims, including focused negotiations and mediation, to maximize recoveries for clients while seeking to minimize their costs. Through thorough claim analysis and advocacy, Steve has helped policyholder clients successfully obtain reversals of scores of adverse coverage determinations without the need for litigation. But when necessary, he aggressively litigates coverage lawsuits in state and federal courts throughout the country.
Recognized by his legal industry peers in The Best Lawyers in America for “Insurance Law,” Steve advises clients on coverage issues involving all types of commercial insurance policies. He regularly handles matters involving professional services claims, governmental investigation and shareholder claims, environmental contamination and other mass tort claims, products-related claims, cyber/privacy claims, and construction-related claims, among others. He has recovered hundreds of millions of dollars of insurance proceeds for his clients.
- West Virginia University College of Law, 1995, 法学博士, Executive Editor, West Virginia Law Review
- West Virginia University, 1992, 学士, magna cum laude
- Court of Appeals - District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- Supreme Court of Appeals - West Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court - Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court - Southern District of West Virginia
- Board Member, D.C. Volunteer Lawyers Project
- American Bar Association
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., in Insurance Law, 2022 and 2023
- Elected as a Fellow to the American College of Coverage Counsel