A member of the Legal 500 Hall of Fame for advertising and marketing law, Doug is also ranked in the top tier of virtually every ratings service. He is a member of our firm’s Entertainment and Media Industry Group (which he founded in 2004 when he arrived at the firm) and our firm's Advertising and Marketing Law team.
He has more than 45 years' experience representing the entertainment and media industries, including individuals and multinational companies in advertising, marketing, promotions, motion picture, television, publishing, unfair competition, intellectual property, and e-commerce matters. Doug serves as legal advisor to several worldwide trade organizations and is General Counsel to the Association of National Advertisers and MMA Global. In addition, Doug is the founder and emeritus member of the Global Advertising Lawyers Alliance (GALA), an international network composed of independent law firms that have expertise in advertising and marketing law with members in more than 80 countries.
- University of New Hampshire Franklin Pierce School of Law, 2011, Honorary Doctor of Laws
- New York University School of Law, 1977, LL.M., Trade Regulation
- University of New Hampshire Franklin Pierce School of Law, 1976, J.D.
- University of Rhode Island, 1972, B.A., Political Science
- New York
- New Jersey
- North Carolina
- Bukarest, Rumänien
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Second Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court - Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court - District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court - Eastern District of New York
- Co-Chair, Dean’s Council, UNH Franklin Pierce School of Law
- Past Chair of the Board of Trustees, Franklin Pierce Law Center
- Past Chairman, Global Advertising Lawyers Alliance
- Law - Advertising - United States of America - Lawyer International – Legal 100 – 2021. The Legal 100 is issued by Lawyer International. A description of the selection methodology can be found at lawyer-intl.com.
- Honorary Doctor of Law degree, University of New Hampshire School of Law, 2011
- Listed as a Leading Lawyer and in the Hall of Fame in The Legal 500 USA for Advertising and marketing: litigation, 2013-2021, and for Advertising and marketing: transactional and regulatory, 2013-2022. A description of the selection methodology can be found at legal500.com. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- Selected for inclusion in the New York Metro Super Lawyers list for Media/Advertising, 2007-2022. The New York Metro Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology can be found at superlawyers.com.
- Selected through peer review for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for Advertising Law, 2008-2023. The Best Lawyers in America is issued by Best Lawyers. A description of the selection methodology can be found at bestlawyers.com.
- Ranked in Chambers USA for Nationwide Advertising: Transactional & Regulatory, 2015-2022. Chambers USA is issued by Chambers and Partners. A description of the selection methodology can be found at chambers.com. No aspect of the above advertisements have been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- No aspect of the above advertisements have been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- 24 September 2021 "Ad Giant WPP to Pay $19 Million to Resolve SEC Investigation" The Wall Street Journal
- 24 June 2020 "Reed Smith LLP: why advertisers must act to end $230bn digital media corruption and waste" More about Advertising