Jim's practice focuses on commercial real estate and business transactions. Jim represents clients engaged in all aspects of residential, office, retail, hotel and industrial development. He has represented permanent and construction lenders, and borrowers in loan transactions, workouts and restructurings. He has represented clients in equity investments including debt equity lenders. Jim has experience with (i) the acquisition, construction and development of large mixed use projects, golf course communities, apartment projects, hotel projects, office buildings, condominium projects, retail centers, shopping centers and warehouse facilities including air cargo facilities, (ii) complex financing transactions through conventional or bond financing, special taxing districts, tax increment financing and community development authorities and (iii) all aspects of leasing including office, retail and warehouse. Jim has worked on renewable and clean energy projects (e.g. solar and wind projects). He has experience in representing corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies in the purchase and sale of businesses as well as asset-based lending. He has experience in negotiating and forming limited liability companies, partnerships (general and limited), corporations (C and S corps) and other business entities including drafting the organizational documents. He has experience with local transfer and recordation taxation issues.
- Georgetown University Law Center, 1998, LL.M., Tax
- New York Law School, 1992, J.D., cum laude, Member of New York Law School Law Review
- University of Richmond, 1989, B.A.
- New Jersey
- Named as one of America's leading lawyers in the area of Real Estate Law in The Best Lawyers in America 2013-16 editions. The Best Lawyers lists, representing 80 specialties in all 50 states and Washington, D.C., are compiled through an exhaustive peer-review survey in which thousands of the top lawyers in the United States confidentially evaluate their professional peers.
- Recognized by Chambers USA as one of America's leading Real Estate: Northern Virginia lawyers.
- Recognized by Virginia Business Magazine in the area of Real Estate.