The AmLaw Industry Awards honor the most exceptional lawyers, law firms, legal departments, and legal organizations in the United States, and the annual winners will be announced at a formal event on December 2 in New York.
Reed Smith has been recognized in the following categories:
- Partner Jennifer W. Cheng, who serves as U.S. vice chair of the Global Corporate Group, is one of six winners of the 2021 “Young Lawyer of the Year” award.
- The firm is among three finalists for “Pennsylvania Regional Litigation Department of the Year.”
- The firm’s Knowledge Management team is shortlisted for “Best Business Team.”
Young Lawyer of the Year
AmLaw recognized Cheng for her leadership in successfully managing a global practice group of some 160 lawyers, her contributions in building Reed Smith’s public M&A practice, and for her representation of high profile clients in several significant M&A transactions. Her most notable deal work over the past two years includes advising:
- Complex Networks in its sale by Verizon and Hearst to Buzzfeed for $300 million, part of Buzzfeed’s business combination with 890 5th Avenue Partners, Inc. (a SPAC).
- KushCo Holdings, Inc. in a stock-for-stock merger of equals with Greenlane Holdings, Inc., creating the leading ancillary cannabis company and house of brands.
- TIDAL, Shawn “Jay-Z” Carter’s streaming service, in the sale of a majority ownership stake in TIDAL to Square, Inc.
- Shawn “Jay-Z” Carter in the sale of his ownership interest in two cannabis-related companies, CMG Partners Inc. and OG Enterprises, Inc., to Subversive Capital Acquisition Corp., a Canadian SPAC.