Brett focuses on energy and carbon trading and derivatives, and has a broad regulatory and transactional practice including financial regulatory advice, energy, carbon and commodities trading and derivatives, commodities, carbon and energy structured transactions, financial sanctions, market infrastructure and Fintech, especially in the wholesale financial and commodities markets.
- College of Law
- Brett is an active participant in the FIA Europe and a member of its Energy and Emissions Working Group. He advises the Legal Committee of the European Federation of Energy Traders (EFET) and also supports the International Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA) and International Energy Credit Association (IECA).
Brett is recognised as a Leading Individual in the latest edition of Legal 500 UK for Derivatives and Structured Products, is consistently named as a top practitioner in Commodities: Derivatives in Chambers and has received the following recognition from these independent legal directories and from the industry:
- Ranked in Chambers UK for UK-wide Commodities: Derivatives & Energy Trading, 2020-2023
- Chambers UK 2022 comments that Brett has “an excellent knowledge of the subject and is very strong in his analysis"
- Listed as a Leading Lawyer in The Legal 500 UK for Derivatives and structured products, 2020-2023
- Chambers UK 2019 comments that he is “very thorough and has great knowledge of the market” and “provides complex regulatory advice in a way that is concise, clear and commercial”
- Legal 500 UK 2019 comments that Brett has a “great regulatory knowledge and the ability to apply it to very complex deals in a practical and efficient way“
- Chambers UK 2018 describes Brett as “a good communicator and a people’s lawyer” and able to “explain legalese with ease”
- Chambers UK 2017 describes Brett as “an expert in financial regulation and offers good commercial advice”
- Legal 500 UK 2016 states that Brett always delivers “good, strong advice”
- Chambers UK 2016 comments that Brett “regularly advises clients on commodity derivatives matters. His broad practice encompasses complex financial arrangements and regulatory issues”
- Legal 500 UK 2015 describes Brett as having “a wealth of practical and industry experience on the regulatory side”
- Chambers UK 2015 comments that Brett “wins plaudits for being ‘effective, efficient and pragmatic,’ as well as ‘very responsive - he clearly has a great grasp of the practice area and the commercialism of the sector’”
- Legal 500 UK 2014 state “clients are ‘very happy with the regulatory advice' of Brett Hillis”
- Chambers UK 2014 describe Brett as a "technically sound lawyer" with a "strong focus on energy trading and derivatives"
- Legal 500 UK 2012 describes Brett as "always responsive and easy to work with"
- Chambers UK 2009 notes that "clients value his ‘extremely practical, hands-on approach’ and his responsiveness"
- Recommended by Legal 500 UK 2009 and 2010