Claude Brown is part of the firm’s global environmental, social and governance (ESG) practice. Claude has a particular focus on the environmental and social aspects of ESG.
Claude is recognised as one of the world’s leading legal experts in weather risk management, adaptive finance, green finance and the voluntary carbon markets. He has been involved in the design and implementation of carbon registries, as well as trading platforms. He has extensive experience of transactions using products to mitigate the effect of drought on the agricultural economies of Malawi and Ethiopia, as well as transactions to assist in sustainable energy generation in South America and Asia. He regularly advises on adaptive finance products to assist developing economies generate resilience in the efforts to address climate change in the Caribbean, Africa and Asia. He has worked on credit risk mitigants for Multilateral Development Banks to free up their balance sheets in order to provide more financing within LDCs and LMICs, as well as assisting commercial banks in developing sustainable finance strategies and products.
He is also very active in the social financing arena, advising Multilateral Development Banks and Supranational organisations on the financing of educational projects in the developing world. He also works with various NGOs and philanthropic foundations to provide innovative financing and credit risk mitigation structures for the funding of their global medical and microfinancing activities.
- Listed in the Hall of Fame and as a Leading Lawyer in The Legal 500 UK for Derivatives and structured products, 2020-2022
- Ranked in Chambers UK for UK-wide Commodities: Derivatives & Energy Trading, 2020-2022
- Selected through peer review for inclusion in The Best Lawyers™ in the United Kingdom "Lawyers of the Year" list in Derivatives and Securitisation Law, 2019
- Selected through peer review for inclusion in The Best Lawyers™ in the United Kingdom for Derivatives and Securitisation Law, 2009-2021
- Listed in the Hall of Fame and as a Leading Lawyer in The Legal 500 UK for Derivatives and structured products, 2020-2021