This flagship energy industry event convenes in Houston on March 31. It will bring industry executives and in-house counsel together with partners from Reed Smith’s global Energy & Natural Resources Group to explore the legal risks and opportunities now facing domestic and international markets.
Raad Alkadiri, managing director of energy, climate and resources at Eurasia Group, will deliver the morning keynote address on current events in Ukraine and Russia. He will examine the global response to the new sanctions regime and the conflict’s immediate and long-term effects on global oil prices and natural gas supplies. Alkadiri will also discuss how producers have responded to sanctions; gasoline prices and their impact on regional economies; and the likely long-term energy trajectories for China, the European Union and United States.
Five subsequent panels are scheduled for the one-day event on the following topics:
- ESG issues for corporate EHS departments. Laura Schut, senior legal counsel of Hess Corp., joins Reed Smith partners Benjamin H. Patton and Jennifer A. Smokelin to discuss recent developments and important considerations for environmental, health, and safety (EHS) compliance professionals when responding to emerging ESG issues.
- FERC and CFTC regulatory developments. Former FERC commissioner Colette D. Honorable, who now leads Reed Smith’s commodities and derivatives regulatory team, joins partner Jonathan Marcus and Dave Hammel, the director of U.S. commercial and regulatory law for TransCanada, to analyze the impact of FERC and CFTC developments on the energy and commodities sector. Panelists will examine the latest FERC and CFTC leadership changes, enforcement updates and policy pronouncements, including the controversial interstate natural gas policy and GHG emissions analysis. The panel will also discuss agency action on climate change and potential legislation to address regulatory gaps in the crypto markets.
- Energy transition from a private equity perspective. Cross-border corporate energy partners Efren A. Acosta, Kirsten S. Polyansky, and Ron J. Scharnberg of Reed Smith join James Wang, managing director of Ara Partners, and EIV Capital partner Greg Davis in exploring the investment outlook for energy and commodities. Focusing on energy transition from the private equity perspective, panelists will look at the full spectrum of fundraising, from traditional energy and upstream investments to energy transition into renewables.
- Transitioning to a carbon-neutral economy. J.T. Nesser, Shell USA’s managing counsel for projects in the Americas, joins Reed Smith energy partners James E. Atkin, Frances L. Furness, and Brendan M. McNallen, in highlighting opportunities and challenges in transitioning to a carbon-neutral economy. Their discussion will cover the evolution of transitional energy policies and the roles of GHG-neutral LNG and net-zero cargoes. The panel will also look at the growth of green and blue hydrogen in the energy mix, and egal issues related to battery storage, offshore wind in the United States, and EV charging and electrification of transport.
- COVID-19 and litigation risk management in cross-border disputes. Chris Bellotti, Halliburton’s vice president and chief litigation counsel, joins Reed Smith partners Francisco Rivero and M. Cristina Cárdenas in a panel presentation on cross-border disputes with a focus on businesses in Latin America. The panel will address how international disputes continue to be significantly impacted by the COVID-19 outbreak, with companies facing ongoing labor, regulatory, supply chain and liquidity issues. They will also look at how government orders have impacted contractual obligations by triggering force majeure and other provisions.
About the Energy & Commodities Conference
Reed Smith’s Energy & Commodities Conference addresses key areas impacting the industry. This exclusive yearly gathering of inside perspectives will meet in-person this year after virtual sessions the prior two years. To learn more, visit Reed Smith’s ENR Outlook site to view key takeaways from the firm’s virtual mini-series in October 2021.
- Location Name: Le Méridien Houston Downtown, 1121 Walker St., Houston TX 77002
- Start Date/Time: March 31, 2022, 8 a.m. central time
- Speakers: Benjamin H. Patton, Jennifer A. Smokelin, Colette D. Honorable, Jonathan L. Marcus, Efren Acosta, Kirsten S. Polyansky, Ron J. Scharnberg, James E. Atkin, Frances Furness, Brendan M. McNallen, M. Cristina Cárdenas, and Francisco Rivero
For more information visit the 2022 conference page.
About Reed Smith
Reed Smith is a dynamic international law firm dedicated to helping clients move their businesses forward. With an inclusive culture and innovative mindset, we deliver smarter, more creative legal services that drive better outcomes for our clients. Our deep industry knowledge, long-standing relationships and collaborative structure make us the go-to partner for complex disputes, transactions, and regulatory matters.
For more information, please visit www.reedsmith.com.