James’ practice focuses on advising companies in the Oil & Gas, Energy and Infrastructure sectors with their international energy investments.
Widely recognized as a leading energy lawyer and Band 1 ranked by Chambers Global, James advises clients in the oil and gas sector on transactions in Asia, Australia, the Middle East, Africa and North America, and has extensive experience advising on large-scale oil and gas projects, LNG sales arrangements, and energy-related mergers and acquisitions.
In Chambers UK (Commodities: Derivatives & Energy Trading, 2021), James has been described as "very down to earth and user-friendly. He understands relationship building and is willing to go the extra mile to help his clients." "He's very knowledgeable of the industry, very easy to work with and very efficient.”
In Legal 500 UK (Derivatives and Structured Products, 2021), James has been described by clients as “Our counsel James Atkin is the premier expert in the drafting and execution of commercial LNG infrastructure and supply transactions. I first met James when he was on the opposite side of the table and was impressed by his knowledge and skill. Having the opportunity to work with James again was great for the company and myself.", “James Atkin provides advice based on detailed reasonable and persuasive research” and “We basically work with James Atkin in London office. He has long experience in the Asian LNG industry and has always been reliable and responsive to our request.”
James is routinely ranked as a ‘leading individual’ and ‘recommended individual’ in the following directories:
- Legal 500 UK 2021 & 2019: Oil and Gas: Projects, Energy and Natural Resources
- Legal 500 UK 2019-2021: Derivatives (including commodities)
- Chambers Asia-Pacific: Projects & Energy: International (Japan), 2010−2020; Energy & Natural Resources (Asia Pacific Region), 2012−2015 and 2017
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific: Japan, Projects and Energy: International Firms and Joint Ventures (Leading Individual) 2016 - 2017 and 2019 -2020
- Chambers Global, Energy & Natural Resources (Asia Pacific Region), 2018 and 2012 - 2016; Projects and Energy: International (Japan), 2012 - 2016, and 2018 – 2019
James is also recognized in the following:
- Best Lawyers: Japan, Energy Law, 2019, 2018 and 2013 - 2015
- Legal Media Group’s (Euromoney’s) Expert Guide to the World’s Leading Energy & Natural Resource Lawyers: 2011, 2013, 2016 & 2017
- IFLR 1000: Corporate and M&A, Energy and infrastructure, Project Development, and Oil & Gas (Japan), 2015 - 2016 and 2019 - 2020
- International Who's Who: Legal (Law Business Research Ltd.) Energy & Natural Resources, 2016 - 2018
- International Who’s Who: Energy Lawyers (Law Business Research Ltd.), 2014, 2013