The following 10 Reed Smith lawyers were named to the 2023 IAM Patent 1000 (four of whom were featured for the first time in a category):
- Pete Chassman: Litigation
- Lisa Chiarini: Litigation (new entry)
- Thierry Lautier: Litigation (new entry) and Prosecution
- Jonah Mitchell: Litigation (new entry)
- Christine Morgan: Litigation (new entry)
- Jonathan Radcliffe: Litigation
- Robert Riddle: Litigation
- Marianne Schaffner: Litigation and Transactions
- Philip Thomas: Transactions
- Michael Tomasulo: Litigation
The firm was noted for superior performance in these areas:
- California: Litigation (new entry)
- France: Litigation
- Texas: Litigation
- UK/England & Wales: Litigation
- UK/England & Wales: Transactions
The firm’s California lawyers received their first-ever ranking in the IAM Patent 1000, which called them “collaboratively minded litigators working tirelessly to help clients achieve their goals. It cited Jonah Mitchell, Michael Tomasulo and Christine Morgan as key contacts. IAM also praised Reed Smith‘s London- and Paris-based teams for patent litigation in both the UK and France.
The guide highlighted Reed Smith’s French patent practice, calling it “among the best in Paris.” “Practice head Marianne Schaffner is an incredibly renowned disputer, especially for life sciences and standard essential patent battles in the telecoms sector,” IAM stated. It called Thierry Lautier “skilled and creative,” adding that he “can understand very technical subjects easily and is an excellent counsellor in legal issues pertaining to patents.”
Reed Smith was recommended for its litigation and transactional strength in London: “Given its extensive worldwide network, the team is especially well equipped to handle global patent strategy, whether in multi-jurisdictional commercial deals or in cross-border litigations.” “[Jonathan] Radcliffe has taken patent disputes all the way to the UK Supreme Court, making him a smart choice for any company dealing with a tricky litigation,” the publication said. “Philip Thomas is an expert on the non-contentious side,” IAM wrote, noting that he has advised clients in transport and logistics, telecoms and life sciences in his more than two decades of practice.
The 2023 guide likewise spotlighted Houston-based patent partners Peter Chassman and Robert Riddle, both of whom received honors for Texas.