Lianjun Li has been a partner of Reed Smith Richards Butler since 2004 and currently is a senior partner and the head of the transportation and commercial litigation practice in Hong Kong. He qualified as a solicitor in Hong Kong, England and Wales.
He has extensive experience in dealing with legal issues and disputes relating to international trade, commercial transactions, transportation, shipping, cross-border investments, shareholder agreement and bond issuance, litigation and arbitration. His clients include well-known domestic and foreign enterprises and organizations.
- University of Hong Kong, 2000, Postgraduate Certificate in Laws
- Manchester Metropolitan University, 1999, Postgraduate Diploma in Law, (Common Professional Examination)
- Stockholm University, 1993, Master of Comparative Laws
- World Maritime University, 1990, Master of Science in Maritime Administration
- Dalian Maritime University, 1989, Postgraduate in International Economic Law
- Dalian Maritime University, 1984, Bachelor of Science
- Hong Kong
- England and Wales
- Supreme Court - Hong Kong
- Supreme Court - England and Wales
Arbitrators and Mediators
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators – Fellow
- Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre – Panel Arbitrator
- Law Society of Hong Kong – Panel Arbitrator
- China International Economic Arbitration Commission - Panel Arbitrator
- China Maritime Arbitration Commission - Panel Arbitrator
- Singapore International Arbitration Centre – Panel Arbitrator
- South China Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (Shenzhen Court of International Arbitration) – Panel Arbitrator
- Qingdao Arbitration Commission – Panel Arbitrator
- Xiamen Arbitration Commission – Panel Arbitrator
- Wuhan Arbitration Commission - Panel Arbitrator
- Rizhao Arbitration Commission – Panel Arbitrator
- Tangshan Arbitration Commission – Panel Arbitrator
- China (zhejiang) Pilot Free Trade Zone Maritime Commercial Dispute Mediation Center – Mediator
- Hainan International Arbitration Court (HIAC) – Panel Arbitrator
- Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration – Panel Arbitrator
- Arbitration Centre Across the Straits – Panel Arbitrator
- Singapore Chambers of Maritime Arbitration – Panel Arbitrator
- London Maritime Arbitrators Association – Supporting Member
- LMAA Supporting Members Liaison Committee (Asia Pacific) - Member
- China Maritime Law Association – Council Standing Member / Director
- Maritime Law Committee of All China Lawyers Association – Member
- Hong Kong Maritime and Port Board – Member
- The Law Society of Hong Kong - Transportation and Logistics Committee - Member
- China Sub-committee of Hong Kong Ship Owner Association - Member
- Hong Kong Maritime Arbitration Group – Member
- Singapore Chambers of Maritime Arbitration –Member of SCMA Procedure Committee
- Dalian Maritime University - Visiting Professor
- Shanghai Maritime University – Visiting Professor
- East China University of Political Science and Law – Visiting Professor
Lianjun is highly appraised by famous legal rating agencies such as Chambers and the Legal 500.
- Ranked as Band 1 in Shipping Litigation (China) by Chambers Asia-Pacific 2021
- Li Lianjun is "a capable English and Hong Kong solicitor" who is widely acknowledged as a top choice for shipping litigation mandates. One client notes: "His advice is practical and helpful with a strong commercial mind, which can assist the clients in resolving the problem promptly rather than being dragged into legal difficulties."
- Ranked as Band 4 in Dispute Resolution: International Arbitration (International Firms) (China) by Chambers Asia-Pacific 2021
- Li Lianjun is applauded by a client who appreciates that "he could totally understand our concerns and help with the solution quickly," adding that "the advice he gave was easier for us to accept since he always think from our perspective." He has notable expertise advising Chinese SOEs, with additional clients across the retail and shipping industries.
- Ranked as Band 1 in Shipping Litigation (China) by Chambers Asia-Pacific 2020
- Sources say that Li Lianjun is "incredibly well respected in the Chinese market as someone who can get things done." He has an exceptional reputation as a litigator in this field and regularly handles contentious cases involving bills of lading, groundings and collisions. Sources note: "He has a strong network in China and a commercial mind when solving problems."
- Ranked as Band 4 in Shipping Litigation (Global-wide) by Chambers Global 2019
- Based in Hong Kong, Li Lianjun is dual-qualified in Hong Kong and England & Wales. He is experienced handling disputes concerning shipbuilding contracts and claims arising from the OW Bunker collapse. One interviewee commented: "He showed very good judgement and helped us reach a pragmatic solution."
- Ranked as Band 1 in Shipping Litigation (China) by Chambers Asia-Pacific 2019
- Li Lianjun maintains a glowing reputation in this space, regularly advising ship owners and insurers on charter party, cargo and collision disputes. A client reports: "He is bilingual and can explain complicated legal opinions to Chinese clients in plain Mandarin. His advice is practical and helpful, and he has a strong commercial mind, which can assist the client with resolving the problem promptly rather than dragging into legal difficulties."
- Ranked as Band 1 in Shipping Litigation (China) by Chambers Asia-Pacific 2018
- Li Lianjun wins the acclaim of clients, who report: "He has good commercial sense; he knows when to settle and when to fight." Applauded by further interviewees for his "practical and helpful advice," he regularly advises leading shipowners, charterers and P&I clubs on high-profile disputes, including cargo and charter party disputes.
- Ranked as Band 1 in Shipping Litigation (China) by Chambers Asia – Pacific 2017
- Chambers Asia- Pacific 2017 states that “clients say that his advice is practical and helpful, and he has a strong commercial mind. In a highlight, he represented Top Gains Minerals Macao Commercial Offshore in a sales agreement dispute, successfully maintaining the client's Mareva injunction against TL Resources.”
- Chambers Asia- Pacific 2016 states that “He is applauded for his focus on client service and also receives particular acclaim for his Greater China practice. He recently represented China National Chartering in a case involving unsafe ports.”
- Chambers Asia-Pacific 2015 states that “Clients praise Li Lianjun for his "very constructive and helpful advice." He is also admired as an "experienced, professional, dedicated and responsive" practitioner. He acts on a number of the firm's major matters and his recent highlights include advising China National Chartering on a USD 190 million charter party dispute.”
Legal 500 Asia-Pacific:
- Listed as a Leading Individual by Legal 500 Asia-Pacific 2021
- Lianjun Li is noted for his expertise in advising on shipping matters; he jointly heads the practice.
- The team is led by market-leading shipping litigator Lianjun Li , who 'provides practical, helpful and solutions-oriented advice' to P&I clubs, as well as PRC-based owners and charterers.
- Listed as a Leading Individual by Legal 500 Asia-Pacific 2020
- International Arbitration: Lianjun Li provides 'professional and practical advice' across a range of disputes, with a core focus on shipping matters.
- Shipping: Team head Lianjun Li has 'rich experience' in relation to PRC-related shipping matters, where he benefits from 'good Mandarin speaking skills' and is 'able to quickly grasp the crux of the problem'.
- Listed as a Leading Individual by Legal 500 Asia-Pacific 2019
- Appreciated by clients for his 'familiarity with the business and practice in China' and ability to 'explain complicated legal opinions to Chinese clients in plain Mandarin', team head Lianjun Li has 'very rich shipping experience' across the panoply of corporate, commercial and litigation matters for a variety of shipowners, charterers and P&I clubs.
- Listed as a Leading Individual by Legal 500 Asia-Pacific 2018
- The firm’s excellent reputation for admiralty work should not however detract from its very solid offering across dry shipping matters including charterparty and bills of lading disputes. In this respect, Lianjun Li has vast experience in the market across a range of disputes and recently represented China National Chartering in a landmark case, which ended up before the Supreme Court in the UK, relating to the issue of unsafe ports and safe port warranties.
- Listed as a Leading Individual by Legal 500 Asia- Pacific 2017
- Legal 500 Asia – Pacific 2017 states that “Lianjun Li is ‘one of the best maritime lawyers in Hong Kong’”
- Legal 500 Asia – Pacific 2016 states that Lianjun is ‘particularly good and able to explain complicated legal opinions to Chinese clients in Mandarin’;
- Legal 500 Asia-Pacific 2015 states that the team lead by Lianjun is an excellent team which provides professional and efficient service to P&I clubs, charterers, shipowners and shipbuilders.
Nominated as a stand-out lawyer by Acritas Stars:
- Often gives us some good tips and advice based on the changes of the market or some regulation.' Nomination was non-attributable, 2016
- 'He has a very broad vision regarding cross-jurisdiction matters.' Nomination was non-attributable, 2018
- 'We are quite familiar with him and he's the best of the best.' Nomination was non-attributable, 2018
- 'He has dealt with complicated legal issues, he’s quite valuable, and very straightforward’ Nomination was non-attributable, 2018
- ‘one or more of your clients has once again independently nominated you as one of the most outstanding lawyers they have worked with.’ 2019
China Business Law Journal:
- China’s Elite 100 Lawyers (Foreign Firms). 2019-2020
Who’s Who Legal:
- Thought Leaders - Hong Kong 2020
- ‘Lianjun Li is “a huge name in the region” according to impressed sources who commend his tremendous knowledge of maritime law’