Matt is the Vice-Chair of Reed Smith's Business & Finance Department and a Partner in its Global Corporate Group.
- Duquesne University School of Law, 2005, J.D., Executive Articles Editor, Duquesne Business Law Journal; Judicial Extern for Hon. Arthur J. Schwab, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania; Certified Legal Intern for the Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General, Charitable Trusts and Organizations Section
- Pennsylvania State University, Smeal College of Business , 1999, B.S.
- City University of London, 1998, International Business Studies
- U.S. District Court - Western District of Pennsylvania
- Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh – Past Trustee (2013-2019); Past Chair, External Relations Committee (2017-2019); Past Member, Executive Committee (2017-2019); Member, 2018-2022 Strategic Planning Committee (2017)
- Duquesne University School of Law – Member, Advisory Board (2015-present); Member, Advisory Board Nominating Committee (2019-present)
- Links Brewing Co. – Member, Board of Advisors (2019-present)
- Reading is FUNdamental Pittsburgh – Past President , Board of Directors (2010-2012); Past Vice President, Board of Directors (2009-2010); Past Member, Board of Directors (2007-2012)
- SDC Nutrition, Inc. – Member, Board of Directors (2014-present)
- Urban Innovation21 – Past Member, Board of Directors (2013-2018); Past Member, Executive Committee as Corporate Secretary (2015-2018)
- Named to the 2021 Pittsburgh Business Times’ 20 People to Know in Law.
- Selected through peer review for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for Corporate Law (2020-2021) and Mergers and Acquisitions Law (2021)
- Recommended by Legal 500 United States for Venture Capital and Emerging Companies (2017-2019)
- Honored by the Pittsburgh Business Times with a 2017 Corporate Citizenship Award. The award “celebrate[s] the incredible corporate citizens making an impact in [the Pittsburgh] community by embracing corporate philanthropy as part of company culture.”
- Selected by Super Lawyers as a "Pennsylvania Rising Star" for Mergers & Acquisitions (2013-2016)
- Honored in 2014 by Pittsburgh Magazine and the Pittsburgh Urban Magnet Program as a “40 Under 40” winner. Honorees are chosen based on their “passion, commitment, visibility, diversity and overall impact on the region.”
- Honored in 2011 as a "Lawyer on the Fast Track" by The Legal Intelligencer. This award recognizes rising stars from across Pennsylvania "who not only stand out as young lawyers, but also serve as exemplary members of their communities and their profession."
In the News
- 27 June 2019 “VSP Global Inks Deal for Visionworks,” The Deal Pipeline
- 9 November 2018 “Phila. Company’s Bankruptcy Highlights Startup Risks for Lawyers,” The Legal Intelligencer
- 28 June 2018 “Start-ups get free legal advice, while Reed Smith connects with potential clients,” NEXT Pittsburgh
- 19 June 2018 “Reed Smith Joins Startups on Their Turf at Pittsburgh Co-Working Space,” The Legal Intelligencer
- 2 October 2017, "Enjoying riches derived from pro bono work," Pittsburgh Business Times
- 27 July 2017 "Reed Smith, Urban Innovation21 celebrates $1 million in free legal help" New Pittsburgh Courier
- 16 November 2016 "Reed Smith Debuts Portal to Help Startups and Entrepreneurs," Pittsburgh Business Times
- 7 November 2016 "Pittsburgh Startups, Law Firms Form Alliances," The Legal Intelligencer
- 14 June 2015 “Global Law Firm Reed Smith Supports Local, Minority Businesses,” Our Region’s Business (WPXI-TV)
- November 2014 “40 Under 40: 2014,” Pittsburgh Magazine
- 29 November 2013 “Reed Smith works pro bono to aid urban startup coalition,” Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- 9 October 2013 “Reed Smith and Urban Innovation21 Team Up to Grow Entrepreneurship,” Our Region’s Business (WPXI-TV)
- 1 February 2013 "AGL Resources adds NiSource assets," The Deal Pipeline
- 10 June 2011 "Reed Smith, K&L Gates Handle Exxon Mobil's $1.7 Bil. Marcellus Buy," The Legal Intelligencer
- 9 June 2011 "Reed Smith, K&L Gates Lead on Exxon Mobil's Marcellus Buy," AmLaw Daily
- 9 June 2011 "Exxon Mobil Pays $1.7B for Shale Explorers," The Deal Pipeline
- 19 October 2010 "SKF buys Lincoln Holdings," The Deal Pipeline
Matt resides in the Fox Chapel area of Pittsburgh with his wife and four children.