Matt is a partner in Reed Smith's Global Corporate Group. He leads the firm's Emerging Growth / Venture Capital Practice and is a member of the Private Equity and Mergers & Acquisitions Practices, and the Life Sciences Health and Energy & Natural Resources Industry Groups.
- Honored in 2014 by Pittsburgh Magazine and the Pittsburgh Urban Magnet Program as a “40 Under 40” winner. Honorees are chosen based on their “passion, commitment, visibility, diversity and overall impact on the region.”
- Selected by Super Lawyers as a "Pennsylvania Rising Star" for Mergers & Acquisitions (2013-2016)
- Honored in 2011 as a "Lawyer on the Fast Track" by The Legal Intelligencer. This annual award recognizes rising stars from across Pennsylvania "who not only stand out as young lawyers, but also serve as exemplary members of their communities and their profession."
In the News
- 16 November 2016 "Reed Smith Debuts Portal to Help Startups and Entrepreneurs," Pittsburgh Business Times
- 7 November 2016 "Pittsburgh Startups, Law Firms Form Alliances," The Legal Intelligencer
- 14 June 2015 “Global Law Firm Reed Smith Supports Local, Minority Businesses,” Our Region’s Business (WPXI-TV)
- November 2014 “40 Under 40: 2014,” Pittsburgh Magazine
- 29 November 2013 “Reed Smith works pro bono to aid urban startup coalition,” Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- 9 October 2013 “Reed Smith and Urban Innovation21 Team Up to Grow Entrepreneurship,” Our Region’s Business (WPXI-TV)
- 1 February 2013 "AGL Resources adds NiSource assets," The Deal Pipeline
- 10 June 2011 "Reed Smith, K&L Gates Handle Exxon Mobil's $1.7 Bil. Marcellus Buy," The Legal Intelligencer
- 9 June 2011 "Reed Smith, K&L Gates Lead on Exxon Mobil's Marcellus Buy," AmLaw Daily
- 9 June 2011 "Exxon Mobil Pays $1.7B for Shale Explorers," The Deal Pipeline
- 19 October 2010 "SKF buys Lincoln Holdings," The Deal Pipeline
Matt resides in the Fox Chapel area of Pittsburgh with his wife and four children.
- Duquesne University School of Law, 2005, J.D., Executive Articles Editor, Duquesne Business Law Journal; Judicial Extern for Hon. Arthur J. Schwab, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania; Certified Legal Intern for the Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General, Charitable Trusts and Organizations Section
- Pennsylvania State University, Smeal College of Business Administration, 1999, B.S.
- City University London, 1998, International Business Studies
- U.S. District Court - Western District of Pennsylvania
- Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh – Trustee (2013-present); Member of 2018-2022 Strategic Planning Committee, Member of Finance Committee and External Relations Committee
- Duquesne University School of Law – Member of Advisory Board (2015-present)
- Fox Chapel Golf Club – Former Member of Membership Committee (2013-2015)
- Reading is FUNdamental Pittsburgh – Past President of the Board of Directors (2010-2012), Past Vice President of the Board (2009-2010), Past Member of the Board (2007-2012)
- SDC Nutrition, Inc. – Member of the Board of Directors (2014-present)
- Urban Innovation21 – Member of the Board of Directors (2013-present); Member of the Executive Committee as Corporate Secretary; Member of the Finance Committee