- 23 July 2020, 9:00 AM EDT
- 23 July 2020, 11:00 AM EDT
José Astigarraga, Global Chair International Arbitration, Reed Smith LLP
9:05 – 10:00: The Code, its background, context, and future
This panel will discuss the impetus behind a joint code, the process of preparing the draft code, and anticipate the steps and timing for finalizing the code. The panel members will also address how they envisage the code being implemented in practice, including how its use might differ among the various institutions and under different arbitral regimes, and address the code’s interrelationship with applicable ethical and legal obligations.
Moderator: Belinda Paisley, Reed Smith LLP
- Meg Kinnear, Secretary-General of ICSID
- Judith Knieper, Legal officer at UNCITRAL
- Chiara Giorgetti, Richmond School of Law
- Catherine Rogers, Queen Mary and Bocconi University (visiting)
10:00 – 11:00: The Code’s key issues
This panel will address the most significant developments in the current draft of the code of conduct. These include: (i) enhanced disclosure obligations; (ii) the treatment of repeat appointments; (iii) the assessment and relevance of issue conflicts; (iv) so-called “double-hatting”; (v) efficiency requirements; and (vi) enforcement of the code’s standards. Panelists will also consider the efficacy and advisability of codifying standards of arbitral conduct.
Moderator: José Astigarraga, Reed Smith LLP
- Juan Fernández-Armesto, Armesto & Asociados
- Lucy Reed, Arbitration Chambers
- Tom Sikora, Exxon Mobil Corporation
- Ben Love, Reed Smith LLP
Conclusion: José Astigarraga, Reed Smith LLP
Please log in 15 minutes prior to the start of the program. For more information, please contact Lucy Reid.