Andrew is a member of Reed Smith’s Energy & Natural Resources Group and is based in the London office. Since qualifying in 1998, Andrew has specialised in international trade. Andrew’s clients range from the largest multi-national producers, miners, trading houses and oil majors to smaller trading concerns.
A recognised leader in his field, Andrew has received accolades from his clients and his peers. He is recognised in the UK Best Lawyers List for commodities, and is featured in the independent legal directories, as follows:
- Chambers UK 2022 ranked Andrew in Band 2 for physical commodities and comments, "Andrew Meads is astonishing and a really deep thinker." "He is able to grasp the subject matter very quickly and understand the commercial context"
- Listed as a Leading Individual in The Legal 500 UK for Commodities disputes, 2022
- Chambers UK 2021 ranked Andrew in Band 2 for physical commodities and comments, “he is the ultimate quick study – quick to read, quick and accurate in thought and expression. He fixes things with a minimum of fuss and bother and is also very bright. He has never let us down”
- Recognised as a Leading Individual in the Legal 500 UK 2021 rankings for Commodities Disputes (Tier 1) where he is described as a ‘star litigator‘ and ‘an exceptional lawyer who provides clear, quick and commercial advice. He is a genuine pleasure to work with. He is always cool, calm and collected, even when the pressure really is on’
- Listed as a Leading Lawyer in The Legal 500 UK for Commodities disputes, 2020
- Chambers UK 2019 comments that Andrew has “a good practice and clients rate him highly. He is a clever man and a super lawyer”
- Recognised by Legal 500 UK 2019 as a ‘Leading Individual’ for Physical Commodities
- Chambers UK 2017 describes Andrew as "quick, attentive, precise and very commercial."
- Legal 500 2016 described Andrew as “bright, experienced, loyal and hardworking”
- Chambers & Partners 2015 states, “sources note his pragmatic and commercial manner, and add that 'he is sensible and fights hard'”
- Legal 500 2014 described Andrew as, “a superb assessor of the ‘real’ situation, [who] understands the commodity trade as well as he understands the law”
- Chambers & Partners 2014 said that Andrew, “is noted for his fast and targeted advice, with one impressed client stating: “He is always available and quickly identifies what we need and when.” Andrew’s clients value his commercial acumen”
- Legal 500 2013 described Andrew as “extremely sharp”
- Chambers & Partners 2013 commended Andrew for his strong understanding of the commodities business and his “very broad view of things”
- Chambers & Partners 2012 described Andrew as a “friendly individual who works hard and treats his clients with utmost respect and professional courtesy”
- Legal 500 2010 said that Andrew has a “good commercial approach”
- Legal 500 2009 described Andrew as “calculating and positive”
Andrew advises and represents clients in relation to commodity contracts, disputes and letters of credit. He has wide-ranging transactional experience as well as considerable experience in arbitration before many of the major trade associations and international arbitral bodies such as the LCIA and ICC. Andrew is also experienced in High Court litigation, including before the appellate courts.