“A highly rated international arbitration group...”
“...a top outfit, with good strength at both partner and associate level.”
“They offer great client service and there’s real depth to the team.”
Chambers & Partners
“A ‘first-rate group’”
Clients are increasingly turning to arbitration to resolve complex international disputes. With more than 100 lawyers in key jurisdictions around the globe, Reed Smith is recognised as having a leading - and one of the largest - international arbitration practices. Our lawyers serve as advisors, counsel, advocates and arbitrators in a variety of complex and high-value international arbitrations around the world. We also advise on the effective negotiation and drafting of international arbitration agreements, including providing guidance on choice of forum decisions, interim measures, enforcement, and asset recovery strategy.
We have substantial experience representing both respondents and claimants, and a strong track record of obtaining exceptional results for our clients – for example, two of our cases were recently ranked by The American Lawyer in its ‘2015 Arbitration Scorecard’ as being in its ‘Top 10 Biggest Defense Wins’.
We are regularly instructed on significant commercial disputes arising in virtually every industry sector including: telecoms, insurance, defence, projects, construction and engineering, energy and natural resources, commodities, oil and gas, chemicals, banking and financial services, transportation, international trade, manufacturing, leisure, environmental, pharmaceuticals and life sciences, as well as disputes arising from shareholder and joint venture agreements. We combine this deep sector knowledge with significant technical international arbitration and dispute resolution skills.
Our arbitration specialists represent a wide variety of clients, including corporations, governments and state-owned enterprises, and have acted on projects in both established and emerging markets around the globe, including Asia, Africa, Europe, the Middle East and Latin America. We also have experience conducting international arbitrations in a variety of languages including French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian, Cantonese and Mandarin.
Our firm’s reach means that we can serve clients from all around the world in arbitrations taking place in every important arbitral centre. We conduct arbitrations pursuant to the rules and procedures of all the major international arbitration institutions, including the:
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- American Arbitration Association/International Centre for Dispute Resolution (AAA/ICDR)
- Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC)
- Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC)
- Chinese International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC)
- London Maritime Arbitrators Association (LMAA)
- Swiss Rules of International Arbitration of the Swiss Chamber of Commerce (Swiss Rules)
- Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC)
- Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC)
- Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC)
- Abu Dhabi Commercial Conciliation and Arbitration Centre (ADCCAC)
- BANI Arbitration Center (BANI)
- Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA)
- World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
We also represent clients in UNCITRAL and other ad hoc arbitrations, and in arbitration-related proceedings in first instance and appellate courts.
Our team has substantial experience handling bilateral and multilateral investment treaty disputes under the auspices of the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) and other arbitral bodies, including in relation to disputes involving the Energy Charter Treaty. We are also skilled in arbitrations under the rules of a number of trade associations and trade institutions, as a result of the strength of our pre-eminent commodities, trade and shipping practices.