Our highly sought-after investor-State team, part of our GAR 30-ranked global international arbitration practice, is consistently working on landmark cases of significance. The combination of our sectoral strength and highly skilled practitioners means we regularly represent clients in high-profile, high-value and cutting-edge investment treaty arbitration matters.
Our impressive track record when acting for both States and investors includes representing clients in proceedings under the auspices of the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), the Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA), the arbitration rules of the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL) and other major arbitral rules and institutions. We have acted in and/or advised on cases under bilateral investment treaties and the investment chapters of multilateral treaties such as the Energy Charter Treaty (ECT) and the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).
We have acted for and achieved significant wins on behalf of both States and investors. On the State side, this includes two successes ranked in The American Lawyer’s Arbitration Scorecard’s “Top 10 Biggest Defense Wins,” defending multibillion-dollar claims brought against the Republic of Kazakhstan. On the investor side, our lawyers have helped clients achieve some of the largest investment treaty awards on record, including awards of $1.2 billion against Venezuela, $270 million against Argentina, and $240 million against the State of Gabon.
- “A highly sought-after investor-state practice with an impressive track record in acting for states. A highly professional firm with real experts in the field.” Chambers UK 2022
- Reed Smith’s “investor-state dispute experience is the envy of many firms.” The Legal 500 UK 2022
- Reed Smith has “market-leading expertise in energy and natural resources-related investment treaty arbitrations.” The Legal 500 UK 2022
- Reed Smith boasts “a wealth of experience representing Kazakh clients in international arbitration.” Chambers Global: Kazakhstan 2021
- “Brilliant individual practitioners and teams that work very well together – highly recommended.” The Legal 500 UK 2022
- “Excels at handling complex commercial arbitration cases, frequently advising clients on claims arising out of construction and financial disputes. Also adept at representing investors in significant investment treaty arbitration mandates.” Chambers Global: Latin America 2022