Nicolle is an energy litigator with extensive court room experience representing the oil and natural gas industry. Nicolle has argued cases in state and federal court in both jury and non-jury trials, and has successfully represented clients before the federal Third, Fourth and Six Circuit Courts of Appeals, as well as state supreme courts and other appellate courts in Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia. Nicolle represents natural gas companies in a wide spectrum of the industry - including producers from conventional and shale formations, underground storage and interstate pipeline transportation companies, and local distribution companies. Nicolle has represented clients in class actions involving royalty payments, other lease terms, storage, and ownership of subsurface rights. Nicolle has also litigated matters over lease and payment disputes, pipeline and storage condemnations, encroachments and contract issues. Nicolle also counsels clients on environmental permitting and permit disputes and advice on shale transactions.
- Duke University School of Law, 2001, J.D., Named a Fellow of Environmental law for the Cummings Environmental Law Colloquium, 2000; Business & Executive Editor of the Duke Environmental Law and Policy Forum
- Duke University, 2001, M.A., Environmental Science, Governing Board of the National Association of Environmental Law Societies
- Harvard University, 1998, A.B., Environmental Science and Public Policy, cum laude, Henry Rosovsky Scholar; Received a Commendation from the Governor of Florida for her research on beach erosion; Thesis was titled "Setting the Standards for Beach Erosion Control: Is Any Solution Acceptable?"
- West Virginia
- All State and Federal Courts - Pennsylvania
- All State and Federal Courts - Ohio
- All State and Federal Courts - West Virginia
- Energy and Mineral Law Foundation – Member, Executive Committee; 10th Law of Shale Plays Conference Co-chair (2019)
- The Center for American and International Law: Institute for Energy Law – Member, Advisory Board
- The Foundation for Natural Resources and Energy Law (formerly Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation) – Member, Trustee-at-Large
- Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy – Member, Board of Directors
- Shady Side Academy – Member, Board of Trustees
Awards & Recognition
- Ranked in Chambers USA for Pennsylvania Energy & Natural Resources (ranked Band 1 in 2022), 2021-2022, and Nationwide Oil & Gas Litigation, 2022
- Selected through peer review for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for Oil & Gas Law and Commercial Litigation, 2021-2023
- Recognized by the National Diversity Council - "2018 Most Powerful and Influential Women of Pennsylvania" (also a winner in 2011)
- Recognized as a BTI Client Service All-Star in 2016
- Selected by the Pittsburgh Business Times as a "2015 BusinessWomen First" Winner
- Selected by The Legal Intelligencer as a "2014 Lawyer on the Fast Track"
In the News
- 18 November 2014 "Energy Spotlight: Nicolle Snyder Bagnell" Pittsburgh Tribune-Review's On the Grid