Related Professionals: Alex Andrews José Astigarraga Gautam Bhattacharyya Nicolas Borda Margaret E. Campbell M. Cristina Cárdenas David R. Cohen Anthony J. Diana Christian Filippitsch Peter Glover Geert Goeteyn Matthew Gorman Peter Hardy Kohe Hasan Delpha Ho Bronwen Jones Denise Jong Sachin Kerur Peter Tin Ho Lee Lianjun Li Min Li Eric Lin Richard Lovell Michael J. Lowell Peter Y. Malyshev Yves Melin Michelle Nelson Belinda L. Paisley Mark Pring Isabelle Rahman Marianne Schaffner Asha Sharma Michael Skrein Chris Sai Kit Tang Andrew D. Taylor Jason Toms Charles Weller Victoria Westcott
The firm was ranked in a total of 31 practice areas (two of which are new), and the recommendations also include 55 individual rankings, of which 12 are new to the firm. This reflects the firm’s strengthening position in Europe with the opening of a new office in Brussels.
The Chambers Global Guide ranks the top lawyers and law firms in over 200 jurisdictions across the world.
Two Reed Smith practices earned Band 1 rankings:
- China – Shipping: Finance (International Firms)
- UK – Insurance: Mainly Policyholders
Eight individuals ranked as Band 1 in nine areas; José Astigarraga of Miami ranked Band 1 in more than one area. The individual Band 1 rankings are:
- José Astigarraga – Latin America-wide Arbitration (International) and USA International Arbitration
- Nicolás Borda Barrero – Mexico Energy & Natural Resources
- Margaret Campbell – UK Insurance: Mainly Policyholders
- Peter Hardy – UK Insurance: Mainly Policyholders
- Lianjun Li – China Shipping: Litigation (International Firms)
- Richard Lovell – Singapore Shipping: International: Litigation
- Charles Weller – Global-wide Shipping: Litigation
- Peter Zaman – Global-wide Climate Change
The two new practice areas in which the firm is recommended are:
- France – Litigation
- UK – Capital Markets: Securitization
Here’s the list of Reed Smith’s other ranked practice areas:
- Asia-Pacific – Shipping: Finance; Shipping: Litigation
- China – Banking & Finance (International Firms); Corporate/M&A: Highly Regarded (International Firms); Shipping: Finance (International Firms); Shipping: Litigation (International Firms)
- Global-wide – Climate Change; Shipping: Finance; Shipping: Litigation.
- Greece – Shipping (International Firms)
- India – Banking & Finance (Expertise Based Abroad); Dispute Resolution (Expertise Based Abroad)
- Kazakhstan – Dispute Resolution (Expertise Based Abroad)
- Latin America-wide – Arbitration (International)
- Singapore – Dispute Resolution: Arbitration (Recognized Practitioner); Shipping: Domestic; Shipping: International Litigation
- South Korea – Dispute Resolution: International Firms (Expertise Based Abroad); Shipping (Expertise Based Abroad)
- UK – Dispute Resolution: International Arbitration (India, Kazakhstan); Dispute Resolution: Litigation; Dispute Resolution: Litigation (India); Insurance: Mainly Policyholders; Intellectual Property
- UAE – Construction; Dispute Resolution
- United States – International Arbitration; International Arbitration (Latin America-wide)
A growing team of noted individuals
Eleven lawyers got individual recommendations for the first time with Reed Smith. Nicolás Borda Barrero of Houston was recommended in two categories for the first time. (Malyshev and Paisley were listed in two categories, but the other category was not a first.) Lawyers joining the rankings for the first time in a given category with Reed Smith are:
- Nicolás Borda Barrero – Mexico Energy & Natural Resources and Mexico Energy & Natural Resources (Expertise Based Abroad): USA
- Christian Filippitsch – Belgium Competition/European Law (Foreign Expertise): Germany
- Peter Glover – China Shipping: Litigation (International Firms)
- Geert Goeteyn – Belgium Competition: EU
- Eric Lin – China Energy & Natural Resources (International Firms)
- Michael Lowell – USA International Trade: Export Controls & Economic Sanctions
- Peter Malyshev – USA Capital Markets: Derivatives: Mainly Regulatory
- Yves Melin – Europe-wide International Trade/WTO
- Belinda Paisley – UK Dispute Resolution: International Arbitration
- Isabelle Rahman – Belgium Competition: EU
- Marianne Schaffner – France Intellectual Property
And here are the Reed Smith lawyers not yet mentioned above who earned recommendations.
Alex Andrews – South Korea Shipping (Expertise Based Abroad); Ranajoy Basu – India Banking & Finance (Expertise Based Abroad); Gautam Bhattacharyya – India Dispute Resolution (Expertise Based Abroad); Cristina Cárdenas – Latin America-wide Arbitration; David Cohen – USA Litigation: E-Discovery; Anthony Diana – USA Litigation: E-Discovery; Matthew Gorman – Singapore Corporate/M&A: International and Capital Markets: International; Kohe Hasan – Cambodia Dispute Resolution: Arbitration, and Cambodia General Business Law; Peggy Heeg – USA Energy: Oil & Gas (Regulatory & Litigation); Delpha Ho – China Corporate/M&A: Highly Regarded (International Firms); Bronwen Jones – UK Banking & Finance; Denise Jong – China Corporate/M&A: Highly Regarded (International Firms) and China Capital Markets: Equity (International Firms); Sachin Kerur – UAE Construction (Non-contentious); Shourav Lahiri – UAE Construction (Dispute Resolution); Peter Lee – China Shipping: Finance (International Firms); Min Li – China Shipping: Litigation (International Firms); Michelle Nelson – UAE Construction (Dispute Resolution); George Panagopoulos – Greece Shipping (International Firms); Mark Pring – UK Insurance: Mainly Policyholders; Asha Sharma – China Dispute Resolution (International Firms); Michael Skrein – UK Intellectual Property; Chris Tang – China Banking & Finance (International Firms); Andrew Taylor – Global-wide Shipping: Litigation; Jason Toms – China Shipping: Litigation (International Firms); Victoria Westcott – France Projects & Energy: International: Finance; and Bernard Yee (Resource Law LLC) – Singapore Shipping: Domestic.
Chambers Global rankings are based on the research of a team of 14 researchers, which includes interviews with firms and clients in 90 countries.
About Reed Smith
Reed Smith is a dynamic international law firm dedicated to helping clients move their businesses forward. Our belief is that by delivering smarter and more creative legal services, we will not only enrich our clients’ experiences with us, but also support them in achieving their business goals.
Our long-standing relationships, international outlook, and collaborative structure make us the go-to partner for the speedy resolution of complex disputes, transactions, and regulatory matters.
For further information, please visit reedsmith.com.
Reed Smith LLP is licensed to operate as a foreign law practice in Singapore under the name and style, Reed Smith Pte Ltd (hereafter collectively, "Reed Smith"). Where advice on Singapore law is required, we will refer the matter to and work with Reed Smith's Formal Law Alliance partner in Singapore, Resource Law LLC, where necessary.