The firm achieved Tier 1 rankings in two categories: Product liability, mass tort and class actions: pharmaceuticals and medical devices – defense; and Insurance: advice to policyholders.
Eight practices rose in rank: Anti-trust: civil litigation/class actions: defense; General commercial disputes; Product liability, mass tort and class actions - defense: pharmaceuticals and medical devices; Energy: transactions: oil and gas; Private equity buyouts; Venture capital and emerging companies; Fintech; and International tax. The firm was included for the first time in three practice areas: International trade; Structured finance: securitization; and Cannabis.
In the industry-focus categories, Reed Smith was ranked several times in energy, environment, finance, product liability, and healthcare.
- Advertising and marketing: transactional and regulatory
- Construction (including construction litigation)
- Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Energy: litigation: oil and gas
- Energy: regulation: conventional power
- Energy: regulation: oil and gas
- Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Energy: transactions: oil and gas
- Environment: litigation
- Environment: regulatory
- Healthcare: health insurers
- Healthcare: service providers
- Healthcare: life sciences
- Insurance: advice to policyholders
- Media and entertainment: transactional
- Product liability, mass tort and class actions: automotive/transport – defense
- Product liability, mass tort and class actions: pharmaceuticals and medical devices – defense (Tier 1)
- Restructuring: corporate (including bankruptcy)
- Restructuring: municipal (including bankruptcy)
- Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Structured finance: securitization
- Transport: aviation and air travel: litigation and regulation
- Transport: shipping: finance
Reed Smith litigation and dispute resolution practices were selected for the following categories:
- Appellate: Courts of Appeal
- Appellate: Supreme Courts (states and federal)
- Antitrust: Civil litigation/class actions: defense
- General commercial disputes
- International arbitration
- Product liability, mass tort and class actions: toxic tort – defense
The firm’s labor and employment group was recognized in four categories:
- Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense
- Labor-management relations
- Workplace and employment counseling
Honors went to Reed Smith teams in the following M&A/corporate and commercial categories.
- M&A: middle-market ($500m-999m)
- Private equity buyouts
- Venture capital and emerging companies
Reed Smith’s tax practice appeared on the lists for two categories: International tax; and U.S. taxes: contentious.
The firm’s real estate practice was spotlighted for Construction (including construction litigation); and Real estate.
And its government and regulatory lawyers gained a spot on the Government contracts list.
Associated with these featured industry categories, a number of Reed Smith lawyers are ranked in the directory. They include:
- José Astigarraga, International arbitration (Leading Lawyer)
- Patrick Bradley, Product liability, mass tort and class actions: Automotive/transport – defense (Hall of Fame) and Transport: Aviation and air travel: Litigation and regulation (Leading Lawyer)
- Michael K. Brown, Product liability, mass tort and class actions: Pharmaceuticals and medical devices – defense (Hall of Fame)
- Han Deng, Transport: Shipping: Finance (Rising Star)
- Jennifer Gardner, Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans – design (Next Generation Partner)
- Stacy Marcus, Advertising and marketing: Transactional and regulatory (Leading Lawyer)
- Benjamin Patton, Environment: Regulatory (Next Generation Partner)
- Ryan Purpura, Energy: Transactions: Oil and gas (Next Generation Partner)
- Jane Freeberg Sarma, Transport: Shipping: Finance (Next Generation Partner)
- John Shugrue, Insurance: advice to policyholders (Hall of Fame)
- Jeffrey Silberman, Fintech (Next Generation Partner)
- Gregory Speier, Transport: Aviation and air travel: litigation and regulation (Rising Star)
- John Vishneski, Insurance: advice to policyholders (Hall of Fame)
- Douglas Wood, Advertising and marketing: Litigation (Hall of Fame) and Advertising and marketing: Transactional and regulatory (Hall of Fame)
The publisher defines Hall of Fame, Leading Lawyer, Next Generation Partner and Rising Star as follows:
Hall of Fame honorees are defined as Individuals who have received constant praise from their clients for continued excellence. They are individuals who are routinely ranked over a number of consecutive years.
Leading Lawyer honorees are defined as partners who have received excellent referee and peer feedback, who have had a prominent role in several leading matters this year and who are pre-eminent in their field.
Next Generation Partner is defined as junior/new/younger partners who make a material difference to the practice.
Rising Star is defined as junior/new/younger associates and counsel who make a material difference to the practice.
Lawyers mentioned in the editorial section (excluding those named already) are:
Kevin Abbott, Nicole Aiken-Shaban, Omar Alaniz, Stephen Aschettino, Nicolle Snyder Bagnell, Mary Balaster, Oliver Beiersdorf, Felipe Berer, Eduardo De la Peña Bernal, Barbara Binis, Marty Bishop, Lawrence Block, Daniel Booker, Nicolas Borda, James Brennan, Kenneth Broughton, Amanda Brown, Sarah Bruno, Stefanie Lepore Burt, Cristina Cárdenas, Raymond Cardozo, Catherine Castaldo, Greg Chase, Samantha Chertoff, Angelo Ciavarella, Peter Clark, David Cohen, Michael Correll, Jessica Cortez, Therese Craparo, Samuel Cullari, Todd Culwell, Kasey Curtis, Mara Curtis, Justin deBettencourt, Debra Dermody, Anthony Diana, Michael Dingman, James Doerfler, Patricia Dondanville, Andrew Douglass, Ed Duffy, Maria Earley, Peter Ellis, Craig Enochs, James Eskilson, John Feldman, Paul Fogel, Diane Frenier, Ilene Froom, Melissa Geist, Cori Goldberg, Mark Goldstein, Betty Graumlich, Deborah Gunny, Jorge Gutierrez, Kurt Gwynne, Ryan Haddad, Megan Haines, David Halbreich, Julie Hardin, Leigh Hansson, Scot Hasselman, Marc Hauser, Michele Haydel Gehrke, Peggy Heeg, Dan Hofmeister, James Holt, Collette Honorable, Dwight Howes, David Hryck, Bart Huffman, Linda Husar, Gary Johnson, Tyree Jones, Kevin Keenan, Evan Kelson, Catherine Kiernan, Henry King, William Kirkwood, Jeffrey Korenblatt, Herbert Kozlov, Jenni Krengel. Moshe Kupietzky, Janet Kwuon, Daniella Landers, Jeff Layne, Liz Leavy, Michael Lee, Kenneth Levine, Randa Lewis, Ben Love, Michael Lowell, Todd Maiden, Peter Malyshev, Michelle Mantine, Joseph Marger, David McAllister, Paulo McKeeby, Brendan McNallen, Brian Mitchell, Marilyn Moberg, James Mogan III, Matthew Mohn, Joseph Motto, Ed Mullins, Edwin Nazario, Stephane Nguyen, Michael O’Neil, Donald Ousterhout, Debra Ann Palmer, Christine Parker, Mark Pedretti, Stan Perry, Matthew Petersen, Kurt Peterson, LiLing Poh, Kirsten Polyansky, Ryan Purpura, Ricky Raven, Donald Reinke, Francisco Rivero, Jared Roach, Frederick Robinson, Eli Rymland-Kelly, Edward Rogan, Robert Roth, Casey Ryan, Paula Salamoun, Prajakt Samant, Michael Sanders, Joseph Sarcinella, Bradley Schmarak, Jodi Schwimmer, Stephen Sessa, Lawrence Sher, Christopher Sheaffer, Will Sheridan, Michael Sherman, Christian Simonds, Allison Sizemore, Luke Sizemore, Kenneth Smersfelt, Antoine Smiley, Jennifer Smokelin, Regina Speed-Bost, Claudia Springer, Gerry Stegmaier, James Sully, Brian Sutherland, James Tandler, Matthew Tashman, Daniel Teplin, Jennifer Terry, Karl Thallner, Jimmy Theodorou, Manasi Venkatesh, Jill Vorobiev, Kim Watterson, Bryan Webster, Sonja Weissman, Justin Werner, Sarah Wronsky, Betty Yan, Lee Zoeller.